Don’t get too excited, there’s still an awful lot that needs programming and AGS could still come crashing to the ground with all I’m asking it to do… but its holding up remarkably well so far.
Little update: I am still working on it when I have the time (and can motivate myself). I could claim that I’ve been busy with work and preparing for an upcoming exam, but frankly I’ve just had a weeks holiday and didn’t touch it once.
Anyway, I put in a good stint tonight and I’m now well on the way with the hardest part of the project, at least from a programming point of view. The problem is I’m doing something very different from what AGS was designed for, so I’ve no idea if what I want to achieve will actually work. I’m getting very close to finding out.
Much more info to come when I’ve decided it’s going to work and I won’t have to scrap the whole idea.
So it was April Fools day today and I suppose I should have knocked up some fake screenshots of an awesome looking game and released them. Instead I just went “Huh? Oh” at several websites and the 6 o’clock news. Unfortunately there was no big AGS prank this year, though there was the odd smaller one pulled by various forum members.
Progress on mystery project since my last post has been one bug fix and one cool extra bit of code. The game is loaded with fancy and unneeded effects and rather lacking in actual game because fancy additions are quick to add and generally not very many lines of scripting, and once in they usually work first or second time. The main engine (if you can call it that) that I should be working on will take hours and hours and will need a lot of testing and fine tuning once done. Further delays may come in the form of this month’s MAGS competition which looks very interesting. If I can come up with a good, unique idea I may well enter…
On a completely unrelated note here’s a video of a water balloon being dropped in slow motion http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XngQJzAmVm8&feature;=related.
I said last post that I’d write something about the games I’m working on at the moment. Since then my web hosting went down and then I got distracted. Still, here we are.
Aside from the millions of ideas floating around my head (most of which need an artist and writer to ever get anywhere – hint hint) I’ve got two games on the go. The first one which, owing to its secretive nature, I’ll code name ‘Secret Project’ has been around since October last year. Its something of an experiment created as a sequel to another experiment and I’m not the only one working on it. In fact I have no idea what’s happened to it so far. For a game that was supposed to be finished in a little over a month it’s certainly been around awhile…
The second game is, owing to its surrounding air of disappointment-dissipating mystery, code-named ‘Mystery Project’. I’m reluctant to reveal too much about this one because although I know (nearly) exactly what I want to do with it, I’m not sure if I can actually do it in AGS. I will say that while I’m making it in my favourite game-making program, Adventure Game Studio, it’s not an adventure game. But it does have something to do with adventure games. Also its at 640×480 resolution, so if it ever gets done I’ll have done a different res in each of my main games.
Also here’s a small cut out from a screenshot of Mystery Project…